Monday, August 22, 2011

RESTING IN PRAYER AND PRAISE


Have you ever been criticized for your faith? Has anyone ever said to you that you are wasting time by praying and seeking the Lord’s wisdom and guidance, when you should be taking action to overcome whatever adversity you are facing? I have. I have been in situations when I knew something had to be done, I knew I was going to have to make a decision, but I was not prepared, nor willing, to make that decision without first praying about it and seeking God’s guidance. I think we forget sometimes that “praying” is doing something! It is probably the most important thing we can do in any situation. That’s why I am always amazed when I hear people say, ‘Well, I guess all we can do is pray.” Well, duh!  That's the very FIRST THING we should do!

When the voices around us start telling us there is no hope, there is no way out, we need not grow weary or weak in our faith and in our prayers. These outward voices, and the inward voice of the enemy, can sometimes cause us to be tempted to give up or react in a way that is not God’s way. When these struggles occur, instead of trying to answer back or argue we need to pause. Or as the Bible calls it “selah”.

We need to look away from ourselves, away from the enemy and look up! Pause and focus on God!!

Some believe that the word “selah” signifies also a sudden burst of musical instruments and then a pause. The pause was for a time of praise.

How amazing would it be if we all filled our pauses with praise! Today let me encourage you to give all that lies within you, not to the voices that tell you it can’t be done, there is no hope, and, you are wasting your time by praying to God, but I want to encourage you to engage in pure praise, in pure loving adoration of the Lord, and let’s worship from a grateful heart, a heart that is trained to look up!!



Many are saying of me, There is no help for him in God. Selah. But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.

Psalm 3:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment