Thursday, August 11, 2011

JUST BE-WEEVE!!!

It has been one of those days.  You know the kinds where your alarm clock doesn’t go off, your hair dryer doesn’t want to work, and you were counting on having that last piece of bread as toast for your breakfast but your 5 year old decided to feed it to the birds before you got to it.

So you’re late, you run out the door with your watch on backwards, the worst hair day you have ever had in your life, and two kids taking their sweet time in getting loaded into the car.

You drop off the kids you drive to your office where you cannot find one single parking space because they are all blocked off because of an afternoon parade coming through.  Once you are parked you run inside, up the stairs because maintenance is “inspecting” the elevator, only to find our your secretary has called in and will not be there, her sister’s shih tzu, “Candy” died last night and she simply must go and console her.

So…do you get the idea of how my day had been going?

When that big wall clock said 5 p.m. I was like a bolt of lightening getting out of there and heading for home.

Of course, once I got home there was still a dinner that needed to be made, baths to be taken, and laundry to be done.  Needless to say, I was pretty much at the end of my rope and wondering what I had done to deserve such a crummy day.  After all, I am a Christian woman…I love the Lord with all my heart…why in the world had He not swooped in and carried all my burdens away for me this day?  SIGH  I was beginning to wonder if maybe I was wrong, maybe God doesn’t love me as much as I thought He did.  Maybe He really doesn’t care about me.  ANOTHER SIGH and a few TEARS.

As I was taking the kids up to bed to tuck them in for the evening, they wanted me to read them a story.  I thought to myself, “Oh no.  Please not tonight.  All I want is a long, hot bubble bath with enough Calgon to not only take me far away but to completely obliterate this day from my memory bank!  But, looking into those sweet little faces I found just enough strength to agree to ONE story.

The book the kids selected was one about God’s creation and how He created each of us in His image.  The book went on to tell about God’s everlasting love for each one of His children.  As I read I could hear myself arguing inside.  Telling myself, “Oh yeah, well if God loves me so much how come He allowed my alarm clock to malfunction this morning?  How come He allowed me to have such a bad day?  “  Half way through the book I stopped and looked down at my little boy and said, “Do you know God loves you?”  Without missing a beat he answered with a smile, “Yes! I do know’d it!”  Intrigued by his enthusiasm and quickness to respond I asked a second question of him.  “How do you know God loves you?”  Once more without a moment’s hesitation he replied, “I just beweeve it!”  It was just that simple.

Even though I was the one reading to them and suppose to be the person teaching them the lesson, I found that I was the one learning that evening.  Unfortunately, I had gotten to the point in my life where I equated God’s love for me with the circumstances around me.  If things were good…God loved me.  If things were bad…God was angry.  But that is not the “truth”.  God loves us with an everlasting love all the time!!!

The bible says in Psalm 36:5, Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.

Jeremiah 31:3, The LORD appeared to us in the past saying, “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.”

Psalm 136:26, Give thanks to the God of heaven.  His love endures forever.

John 3:16, For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

As soon as I finished reading that story and kissing my boys goodnight, I went and picked up my bible and began to search for verses about God’s love for me.  Those were just a few that I found that night.  They are highlighted and underlined and now memorized and written on my heart.

God tells us that we must have faith.  He tells us in 2 Corinthians 5:7 that we must “live by faith and not my sight", knowing that no matter what is happening we are secure in Him and His love for us.  Hebrews 11:1 says, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”

I will be honest with you, there are days when I don’t see, and sometimes I don’t even feel, very loved, however, it is on those days that I simply “just be-weeve”!!!

1 comment: