Saturday, August 20, 2011

MAKING A JOYFUL NOISE IN THE KEY OF Q



When you are in the radio business you are in the music business. Which means you hear great singers all the time. Sometimes you even get the opportunity to meet them and watch “in person” sing their songs unto God in worship.
On Sundays when I got to church, I am always amazed by the level of talent that exist when it comes to singing and how the worship leader and the praise team sings such a beautiful melody with ease and leads the rest of the congregation into a time or praise and worship.
I find myself, at times, wondering, “God, I can’t carry a tune in a bucket….are you sure you meant what it says in the Psalms…we are ALL to make a joyful noise, because I don’t know how wonderful I’m going to sound to you, I sing in the key of Q God!” But of course, the Lord meant what is said in Psalm 98:4 Make a joyful noise to the Lord all the earth,break forth into joyous song and sing praises!
As I meditate on this Scripture this is what I hear: It says “joyful” which indicates to me it is not the musical expertise God is looking for..but the state of our heart. It says “noise” which tells me that in some cases that is just what it will sound like to the human ear, but to God, because it comes from a state of joy in Him in our heart it is pleasing!
I remember a man sharing with me one time that when his son decided to take up the trumpet and follow in his footsteps the dad said it sounded anything but good. But the boy kept practicing and practicing until one day when he was in the marching bad out on the field, the band turned toward the dad in the stands and played. The father of this young man said he could pick out his son’s sound immediately, as tears began to run down his cheek, he was so proud of his son. Granted, his son was not the best trumpet player, but he was still pleased at his effort and determination. His son enjoyed playing and his heart was in it.
I think God feels the same way about us. When we lift up our voices in praise and worship to Him he can “pick out his children” among all the rest of the “noise” and it makes Him happy and He finds it pleasing.
So , crank up the radio and sing along with Franny Batestelli or Chris Tomlin. On Sunday, don’t just move your lips, make a joyful noise and give your voice to God!
And if you are one of those people who can sing…the next time the person next to you sings a little off-key, instead of complaining, simply smile and remember, it is their “joyful noise”!



No comments:

Post a Comment