Monday, August 15, 2011

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ARE EXPECTING!!


I remember those words as if they were spoken to me yesterday.  Sitting on that examination table, waiting for the blood test result and wondering if it was true…would the doctor tell me I was pregnant?

The excitement when I found out goes beyond ecstatic.  All I ever wanted to be was a wife and mommy.  I can honestly tell you that from the moment I found out I was carrying that little life inside of me, I was head over heals in love with that child.

My two sons, Michael and D.J., are very different.  Each of them with their own unique personalities, and, gifting.  Michael was always a challenge for me.  He was a colicky baby and didn’t sleep through the night until he was two years old!  He was the type of child that always had to be entertained.  Yet Michael always had such a sensitive heart.  He was always a compassionate child.  Worried about the underdog.  Always wanting to help.  Michael was also a very shy child, never really wanting to draw any attention to himself.  Now at 31 years of age, he is a husband and father to two little boys of his own, and his wife, Kristin, is expecting their third child in March of 2012.  After a season of “sowing his wild oats” and nearly giving me a nervous breakdown, Michael has grown and matured into such an amazing, Godly man.  You would be hard-pressed to find another daddy that loves their family as much as Michael does.

D.J. was the polar opposite in many ways.  Slept through the night from day one.  Could entertain himself with blocks and puzzles, and cartoons for hours.  He was outgoing.  Had a wonderful smile and sense of humor.  He loved making people laugh.  He was well-disciplined.  I never once had to tell him when bedtime was, to do his homework, of get up and go to work.  He just did it.  Many times I joked, saying he was a 55 year old spirit, trapped in a kid’s body!  Now at 22 years of age he is a husband, and also, a Godly man.  You could search and search and never find someone as dedicated to his wife and his God as passionately as D.J. is today.

Of course, as their mother I would love to take credit for all their wonderful traits and blame the rest on their fathers.  Yes, Michael and D.J. come from two different unions.  Honestly, I can tell you that there were many, many times as they were growing up that I wondered if they would ever be able to get over all the chaos I had put them through as children. 

It is back-to-school time now, and I read many, many Facebook posts from parents who have dropped off their children at college for the very first time.  They are wondering, “did I do the right things?”  “are they prepared?”  “will they ever grow out of this or that and make something of themselves?”  The bad news is….now is the time you are going to find out, and it can be a very stressful time for a parent.  The good news is….well,  umm, the good news probably won’t be apparent until a few years down the road.  Sorry.

My “Good News Day” came with Michael, when he brought his first born son, Brody to meet me in the hospital.  I remember looking at this proud daddy holding his newborn son and being so grateful to God for all He had done.

My “Good News Day” came for D.J., today.  When he preached his very first sermon at the church where he and his wife, Dianna, are currently serving as Youth Ministers.  To watch my baby boy talk about his childhood, the challenges and the redemptive powers of Jesus Christ, cause my cup of blessings to overflow.

I didn’t do everything correctly as a mother.  I still make mistakes.  Only by the grace of God have my children grown up to be the men they are today.  The one thing that I did do correctly was, I loved them, unconditionally, and I never held back from telling them or showing them.  I would like to say I learned that from my parents…but I did not.  I learned how to love, and, love deeply, the day I gave my life to Jesus Christ.  I saw how much God, my heavenly Father loved me, and how He sent His only son to die for me so that I could fellowship with Him today and for all eternity. 

My sons and I will always have that physical connection of being related by blood.  But what excites me even more today is that we also have that “Jesus Connection” because of His blood shed for us at the cross.  Mistakes will be made, choices will disappoint, and feelings will get hurt.  But because we share in the legacy and example of Christ, forgiveness will enter in and love will remain.

I am attaching a link to the sermon my son, D.J. preached today.  If you want to watch I would certainly be honored.  I have attached a photo of my oldest son, Michael and his boys.  When you look at them, remember, the best thing you can give your children is unconditional love and the desire to love and serve God…and always, always, pray!

D.J. sermon:  http://branchesofchrist.com/videos/

No comments:

Post a Comment