Sunday, August 14, 2011

HAVING A "GIRLFRIEND ATTITUDE" WITH GOD



In my devotion time the other day I was in the Book of John and I was reading in Chapter 11 about the death of Lazarus. Now Lazarus was the brother to Mary, who annotied Jesus' feet with perfume and dried them with her hair. Lazarus was also the brother to Martha. All three of them were loved by Jesus and they were his dear friends.

Now Jesus received the news of Lazarus’ sickness and pending death he did not race back to Judea but stayed a few more days.

Now I know that Jesus did not do anything without it first coming directly from the Father, so I believe that Jesus knew to stay where he was for a time so that when he did return and raise Lazarus from the dead it would be a HUGE testament as to who he really was to everyone around him.

Something I noticed in this story that I never had seen before was the reaction of Martha and Mary when Jesus finally did return to the village where Lazarus had died. Martha heard Jesus was coming and she ran out to meet him while Mary remained sitting in the house. That struck me…that Mary didn’t run to meet Jesus as well.

Do you think Mary had a “girlfriend attitude”? She knew Jesus had received the message days before about her sick brother. Do you think she was thinking to herself, “Oh yeah..now you show up. Where have you been all this time? We could have really used your help a few days ago..and NOW you show up? Seriously, Jesus..I’m the one that sat at your feet and hung on your every word while Martha cleaned and cleaned the house during your visit…you even commended me…but you can’t take the time to show up when I call for you? What is up with that?”

Sometimes I think we “cop” a “girlfriend attitude” like Mary may have. We pray and present our petitions and needs to the Lord and yet he is silent for days, weeks, sometimes even years and we beging to question whether or not he is listtening at all. Is he really going to help us? Does he really care about us? The answer of course, is “yes, he does.” But we must understand that our timing is not always God’s timing.
Jesus did raise Lazarus from the dead and he does answer our prayers,in his divine timing , in his wisdom and love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment