Monday, January 6, 2014

WELL



Today, I have been spending some time in my Bible and my eyes fell upon John 4 and Jesus meeting the woman at the well. It is a story many of us have heard and many pastors have preached about. Today as I read the story again my eyes kept going back to the word "well". I decided to do a quick definition search on-line for the word. Some definitions included: "a deep hole or shaft" ; " a container, or reservoir" ; "an abundant source or open space" ; "an enclosed space for receiving or holding something".

I then went back to my Bible and read the story again. As I am sure you know, God has a plan and a meaning for everything. It was not by chance that Jesus met "this woman" at a "well". It was not by accident that their conversation revealed her past and current situation, in regard to her husbands, or her live-in boy friend. Obviously, this woman was very troubled and was looking and longing for something more, although she really had no idea what it was she needed in order to complete her and bring her the kind of life she truly longed for.

Suddenly, the word "well" jumped off the page again to me. THAT'S IT! God KNEW her hurt was so deep, so buried in a hole inside of her heart that He sent Jesus to meet her at the "well". The way Jesus spoke to her "well" , her "situation", He showed her that He knew and understood her need for something else, something that was life-giving and eternally satisfying. He told her how she could fill up that "reservoir", that "container" , with a "living water" that would refresh her soul and bring her new life! The deep well of hurt, confusion and disappointment could be healed and should could instead have an "abundance" of peace, hope, joy and love for eternity!

John 4:25 & 26 records the conversation between Jesus and the woman at the well and her accepting Him as the Messiah. At that moment her heart changed. She went back to her village and told the people, "Come see a man who knew all about the things I did, who knows me inside and out. Do you think this could be the Messiah?" And they went to see for themselves.

The Bible goes on to record how MANY of the Samaritans from that village committed themselves to Him because of THIS woman's witness. They asked Jesus to stay longer so Jesus stayed an extra two days. Alot more people entrusted their lives to him when they heard what He had to say. They said to the woman, "We're no longer taking this on your say-so. We've heard it for ourselves and know it for sure. He's the Savior of the world!"

All of this brought me to my own "well" experience. I had been married five times, and the man I was living with then, was not yet my husband. I had been looking for something, someone, to fill the "deep well" of hurt and disappointment in my own life. I had become an outcast because of my choices, I was alone. But Jesus met me right where I was and in a little church in Quincy, Il., the pastor preached a message that I knew was Christ talking directly to me. It convinced me that He did know me, inside and out, and it was time I knew Him.

What is the "deep well" of hurt in your life that is holding you back from experiencing His complete hope, peace, joy and love?

What does your heart "hold or contain"? Is it anger, bitterness, unforgiveness, or fear? Do these things need to be replaced with an "abundance of Jesus, The Messiah?"

God does not do anything with it having a purpose or meaning. A little word like "well" really got my attention today.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll;
whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

It is well with my soul,
it is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
let this blest assurance control,
that Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
and hath shed his own blood for my soul.


My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!


And, Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
the clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
the trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
even so, it is well with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment