Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Fruit? Anyone?

While waiting in the checkout line at the store with my groceries, the woman in front of me looked into my cart and began explaining to me how I could do better in caring for myself and family by being more selective in the foods I purchased and prepared. I politely listened to everything she was saying, and even agreed with her on a few things.

When the cashier finished scanning her groceries, she asked the woman, "is there anything else?" The woman responded, "Yeah, I'll take a couple of packs of Marlboro Lights." Say whaaaa? Seriously? She just reprimanded me for not buying my family Multi-Grain Eggos and Goat's Milk because it is healthier, and she is buying and smoking cigarettes?

hashtag:
Letmehelpyoupullthatplankoutofyoureyebeforeweaddressmyspeck

On my way to my car I sort of chuckled to myself about all that had just happened, thinking, "Wow, I certainly don't believe anything she told me about healthy living now. That was just crazy!" Then this thought "hit me"....that must be how non-believers feel about Christians who talk a lot about Jesus, but their lives look nothing like Jesus. They must feel just as I did, thinking to themselves, "what hypocrites!"

This experience brought Matthew 7:15-20 to my mind...
15 “Beware of false prophets who come disguised as harmless sheep but are really vicious wolves. 16 You can identify them by their fruit, that is, by the way they act. Can you pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 A good tree produces good fruit, and a bad tree produces bad fruit. 18 A good tree can’t produce bad fruit, and a bad tree can’t produce good fruit. 19 So every tree that does not produce good fruit is chopped down and thrown into the fire. 20 Yes, just as you can identify a tree by its fruit, so you can identify people by their actions.

To deceive ourselves into thinking we are taking care of our health by buying and eating fruit, AND smoking cigarettes, is a lie.

To deceive ourselves into thinking we are taking care of our spiritual health by talking about "God's fruit", but not, "producing any" is equally a lie.

People do pay attention and know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment