Thursday, August 22, 2013

From Glory to Glory ... That Is His Promise To Me!

 

It was time for my "annual" doctor's exam yesterday. So I bravely marched myself into the exam room and patiently waited for the doctor's arrival. As I sat on the exam table, all around me, at eye level were pictures of brand new babies. So sweet, innocent and absolutely adorable. I carefully studied each one's little face and found myself imagining what each little life might become.

By the time the doctor entered the room I had a few tears streaming down my face. She quickly asked me, "what's wrong, Karen?" I told her that at my age, and stage of life, it is bittersweet to sit in an exam room like this one. It serves only as a reminder to me that my "baby days" are a distant memory and my "babies" are now all grown and living their own lives. I will never again experience the intense joy of finding out I was pregnant, nor will I ever experience that miraculous moment of feeling my baby kick for the very first time inside of me. All of that is now over. I told her that it might be worth considering a special exam room for the woman of my age group, a room that doesn't have baby photos covering every inch of painted wall space, but instead perhaps it would be nice to place some pictures of some accomplished and beautiful “older women” on the wall, or maybe some inspiring quotes? My doctor was very empathetic and agreed that would “be nice”, but after all, she is only in her mid 30’s and she has not experienced what I, and so many others, have experienced yet.

On my drive home from my appointment I was thinking about how we, women, transition from child into teenager. Teenager into a young woman. A young woman into a middle-aged woman, and finally, a middle-aged woman into an old woman. Each transition brings with it new joys but each transition also brings with it new challenges and obstacles to overcome. Yet transitioning into each new “season of life” is as normal as a beautiful butterfly taking off from one flower and floating through the air and landing on the next.


 
 
As I am now transitioning into my final “flight” there are days I do find it difficult. Yet there are days I also find it incredibly satisfying and I rejoice in seeing the “fruit of my labor” in watching my sons and their families grow and thrive. There is a peace that comes with this last transition, a peace that I know comes from heaven. A calmness that in my heart I know is the voice of my Savior telling me to continue on because the race is not over yet, my time has not yet come and there is still much to do for the Kingdom. There is also a gentle reminder to me that I had forgotten one “final transition” …the transition from “old woman” to “glory”!

So, lesson learned today….1: celebrations from my youth are to be remembered and cherished, but there are many more celebrations to take place with family and friends. 2: God is with us through each season of our lives and He is very kind in showing us how to “transition” season to season gracefully. 3: it ain’t over until it’s over, so don’t give up, you are not finished yet. Life (and your body) may look different today then it did yesterday but different isn’t bad. We are just beautiful butterflies floating from one flower to another! 4: "You are altogether beautiful, my darling, And there is no blemish in you. Song of Songs 4:7




 













 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment