Monday, February 18, 2013

CALGON TAKE ME AWAY....RIGHT NOW!




The other day I was so stressed out over several things going on in my life and with my family that I just became very overwhelmed and discouraged.  As I sat on my couch sobbing there was a moment of clarity when I asked myself, "Karen, what are you going to do now?  Obviously, you cannot throw your hands up in the air and give up.  You have to calm down, eventually, so you might as well get after it!"

One of my favorite ways to de-stress is to first, clear my mind.  The way I do that is by locking the bathroom door and stepping into a warm bubble bath with aromatherapy oil.  So that is exactly what I did.  As I closed my eyes and slid down into the bubbles, I asked the Lord to please renew my mind and strengthen my heart so that I could resume my life refreshed in Him.

Later that evening, God spoke to me about Abraham, Sarah and Isaac.  I picked up my Bible and began reading their story.
(Genesis 18:1-15, 21:1-7)

These are the thoughts that came to my mind as I read:

Did Sarah make things better by trying to control her situation herself, or would she have been better off waiting on and trusting God?  Obviously, waiting on God and His promise would have been best.

When Abraham was told to sacrifice their son, Isaac, did he tell Sarah that was the plan?  My guess is, he did not.  Because if he had, do you think that bit of information might have stressed his wife out?  Do you think she would have gone along with this plan?  I know that if my husband came to me and said, "Hey, God told me to kill our son as a sacrifice, cool?"  I most definitely would have said "NO THAT'S NOT COOL!" 

And what about Isaac?  Did he know what was going to happen when he left with his father that day?  What were Isaac's thoughts as they made their way to the alter, knowing they didn't have anything to offer?  When Abraham told his son to get on the altar do you think Isaac did it voluntarily or do you think Abraham had to force him?    What do you think Isaac was feeling when he was tied there, his father's hand lifted in the air holding the knife, and tears running down both of their faces?  Do you think both father and son might have felt a little bit stressed?  How did they feel when they both heard that goat/sheep in the brush?  Relieved?

When Abraham and Isaac went back home that day, was Isaac angry? Confused?  Was Abraham grateful and filled with joy because God had provided?  Did Sarah ever know what really happened that day?

My mind sort ran the gammit over all the conversations and feelings that could have taken place in just this one family and this situation.  Eventually, I came back to my own feelings of stress, being overwhelmed and sadness.  This is what I felt God showing me:

1.  I don't control everything, nor do I control everyone.  The only thing I can control are my actions and words.  If I am going to act out in fear and speak without faith then the outcome will probably be less than what God would want me to have.  It is better to follow and trust Him always, to do what I know He calls me to do, and then patiently wait for the storm to pass.  And, it will pass, eventually.

2.  I don't have to have all the answers.  Sometimes I may not have all the information either.  But I trust and know that my God does.  Knowing that He cares for me, loves me with an everlasting love, works all things together for my good, and is right there beside me, is really all I need to know. 

3.  When things are spiraling out of control around me I can either keep my focus on Him or I can focus on the problems.  Isaac knew his father's hand held a knife and was raised over his heart, but I believe he was probably staring at his father's face, staying focused on his father's love for him.  Isaac may have felt anxious during those moments, but I believe his eyes didn't leave his father's. 

4.  When the crisis has passed and God has once again proved Himself faithful do we rejoice or are we angry that we had to go through any of it in the first place?  Do we gripe and complain and tell everyone about all that we had to endure? Do we allow our hearts to harden and become calloused and bitter from the experience or do we rest in Him and then learn from the ordeal, something that can help us in the future?  Or do we give thanks to God for, once again, coming to our rescue in His way and in His perfect timing? 

No doubt I came away from this lesson with alot of questions and not as many answers.  Abraham, Sarah and Isaac were alot like my family.  They had troubles and moments of doubt and insecurity, but they loved God with all of their hearts and God loved them, even with their flaws.  On this particularly stressful evening this was all I really needed to know....

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
 
ROMANS 5:8
 
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose.
 
ROMANS 8:28
 
Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.
 
MATTHEW 11:28

1 comment:

  1. I so love your woods of wisdom. Maybe it's my age or where I'am with God but I so want to be quiet and let him work instead of me trying to make it happen. In the past I've said too many things that sowed to the flesh because I wanted to change the situation now! I so now want to be a Godly woman that is wise and can make a difference through what he wants and not by what I want. He knows it all...the situation and the outcome. Praise be to my God that he doesn't put time limits on us to try and see things his way...I would have been took out a long time of go. I'm thankful the he is full of mercy and patience to us all...

    ReplyDelete